Friday, August 1, 2008

1/6/08

Leroy got to live with the rest of the herd this weekend!

First I sent Whinney up to visit with him. She's very easy going, and if there is food around, that's all she cares about. So she is always the first choice for meeting new horses. I usually send April, the mini, next because she just wants to be everyone's friend, but can be a little obnoxious about it.

April had other plans, and in less than 5 minutes of putting Whinney through the gate, April broke through the gate, so poor Leroy had to meet 2 girls at once. My plan was to give them a few days of in and out and a few hours of being together, then bringing up Lakota after that for awhile. But Whinney and April didn't want to come down for dinner, so I left them with Leroy for the night.

Everything seemed fine the next morning (aside from Whinney bullying Leroy out of his grain, so I had to hold her so he could eat), so I opened the gate and let Lakota up. I knew Jen wouldn't bother coming to visit, and I figured Ana would hang back a bit and then go investigate (which is just what she did).

Lakota mostly ignored Leroy, but did push him off a few hay piles. She wasn't mean or aggressive about it, which is different than she is with the other horses. I think she knows he's an old man and can't be running around like the other horses.

Ana came up and investigated also, then they had to show off, and romp around in their "playground" paddock, that has been off limits for the last 2 months. There is a video of their meeting on YouTube.












No comments: