Friday, August 1, 2008

February, 2008

Leroy was continuing to make great progress, and I had a chat with him about having his teeth floated. He seemed OK with the idea, when I told him that he would need to let me catch him, and it may be unpleasant but he would feel much better after it was done.

Then we had a huge setback. Ana, the little curly filly who was Leroy's buddy, shattered her pastern on 2/28 and had to be euthanized. Leroy has not been the same since. He wants nothing to do with me again, and has withdrawn. He gets a grumpy when handled, and even kicked at me when I attempted to look at a sore he had on his hip. We are all devastated over Ana's loss.

I do hope that Leroy comes around soon. I really want to get those teeth floated, but I am in no mind to get into an argument with a draft horse with prior emotional issues. So I continue to stuff him with as much feed as I can get into him, and I hope that his grieving time is over soon.




These photos were taken on 2/24, four days before Ana was euthanized.

No comments: