Friday, August 1, 2008

October, 2007

On 10/18 I noticed him on the AC4H website under "broker owned" horses. Leroy is reported to have been an Amish workhorse, who was then sent to auction and bought as a hack horse. I have no idea for how long he had each job. For whatever reason, he then went to auction, and was bought by a broker, then sold to another broker, and on and on he was passed between brokers for a number of months.





My husband had been interested in a Belgian for awhile. He doesn't ride and isn't a horseperson, so he only wanted a Belgian to look at. An old fellow in need of retirement would be a perfect fit. Leroy caught my eye on the AC4H broker page. I sent the email over to my husband, but he didn't get online until 10/21, a Sunday. The horses have until Monday, as the truck ships for slaughter on Mondays around 5:00. When my husband asked for more info, I inquired more about his personality, etc., and in a flurry of emails and telephone calls I was able to Paypal his ransom to AC4H at around noon on Monday, while AC4H was at New Holland with the Inside Edition camera crew shooting a story.



Photo from broker lot


Leroy made it by the skin of his teeth! He was quarantined at AC4H for 2 weeks, and finally arrived in Connecticut on Veterans Day, 11/12/07. How appropriate for this old, veteran workhorse.

No comments: